Seeing Your Students’ Anatomy with David Keil
This is an Observation Workshop
• A practical workshop to learn to see and feel what is happening in your students’ practices and your own. You’ll immediately apply your new observation skill set to your own practice and in any teaching situation!
• The skill of observation is very important for a teacher to have. The information is in front of you at every moment, but you’re not aware of it until it’s pointed out. In the Seeing Your Students’ Anatomy Workshop, learn tools to see more of what a student is doing and/or not doing. Seeing more can make all the difference in the adjustments or cues you give to a student in a particular pose.
• During this weekend workshop, we develop “our eyes” by first recognizing biases. We then conduct a postural analysis to practice “seeing” more objectively. This analysis also trains us at a greater level of detail.
• The next level is observation in movement. We will apply the techniques to one of the most fundamental movements: walking.
This is a visceral exercise by mimicking the patterns seen in students’ walking. This adds a kinesthetic component to understanding an individual’s body. A great reminder that we need to put ourselves inside the student’s posture (asana) to understand their experience. With this knowledge, we understand how to support the student in their pose.
• Finally, we take our “eyes” back to the yoga mat to observe poses. We use all our skills, focusing on transitions into and out of postures. We will also view the more static state of the asana itself. The verbal cues or hands-on adjustments to guide students will be more skillful. They are based on observations that are less biased, more detailed, and more informed.
• Quick review of anatomy
• Learn to see what has been in front of you all along
• Detailed postural analysis
• See the anatomy in movement
• See the anatomy in asanas
• Individualize instruction based on what you see
*Each segment of the workshop builds on previous segments, so everyone needs to be present for the entire weekend.*
• Friday evening, September 10th: 6:00-8:30 PM
• Saturday Morning, September 11th: 9:00 AM to 12:30 PM
• Saturday Afternoon, September 11th: 2:00 PM to 5:00 PM
• Sunday Morning, September 12th: 9:00 AM to 12:00 PM
• Entire Workshop $240
• FYTA Member Price $225
• Attendance will be limited to 50 people in order to maintain social distancing.
• If you are not vaccinated for Covid 19, please wear a mask for your own safety.
• For out of town guests (and locals who want a nice weekend away), FYTA recommends the lovely, newly renovated Crystal Bay Hotel, which is only a few blocks away from the Garden Club. They have offered our workshop participants a special rate for the weekend of the workshop.
View the hotel at crystalbayhotel.com.
For special FYTA pricing, call Kathy Weed at (727) 317-2806.
Click Here to download a PDF that includes all of the above Keil Workshop information and more!
For a biography, see our David Keil Page.